Monday, January 26, 2009

I'm at the middle mark

5 months ago today I arrived in England. I can't believe how time has flown while being here. I remember when I was at training in Nottingham all the new volunteers were told that this was going to be one of the most challenging years, I disagreed at the time. However, much to my dismay I was definitely wrong. 

This gap year has been nothing like I expected. To be honest I'm not actually sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. This year away from home is BETTER than anything I could have ever hoped or dreamed for. God has challenged me in every possible way, and I'm so thankful for that. If the Kelsey I was 5 months ago could meet the Kelsey I am now I don't think either one would recognize the other. It's unbelievable, but I am finally starting to become the person I'm supposed to be. I think I'm finally living up to the potential that God gave me, which is scary but at the same time possibly the coolest thing ever.

Also, in exactly 5 months from today my gap year with Youth for Christ will end and I will make the long journey back to Texas. I really feel like these next 5 months are going to fly by. 5 months ago I was excited to do this year, but I also was excited to come home at the end of it. But, now I cannot begin to express how sad and heartbroken I'm going to be when my 5 months are up and June 26 rolls around. I know the next 5 months are going to be amazing though, and I'm so excited to see what God has in store for me.

I have met some of the greatest people alive, and I seriously don't know how I'm going to survive 4000 miles apart from some of them. Sad day.

It's also going to be really weird not living with Nicole anymore. Throughout this year in England she has been my constant and has kept me stable. She's my roommate, accountability partner, best friend, and most of all she's my sister. The kind of relationship I have with Nicole is a new one for me, I mean yeah I have best friends but it's kind of different with Nicole and I. A couple of days ago Nicole found out her grandma had about 24-48 hours to live. Not fun news to hear when you're in another continent. But, after Nicole told me this news I found myself actually crying with her and mourning with her. I wouldn't say I'm not an emotional person, but never have I done anything like this with another person who wasn't a family member. Haha, I think Nicole and England are making sure I really get in touch with every single emotion possible this year. 

Please pray for Nicole and her family. She left England early Sunday morning for California to see her grandma, however she passed while Nicole was on one of her flights. Just please keep them in your prayers this next week.

I didn't mean to get all serious in this blog, my fingers just seemed to take over and do the typing.

Hope everyone has a great week!

Love, 
Kelsey

No comments: