Friday, May 8, 2009

Hosea

Lately the book of Hosea has really been on my heart. 

My friend Jillian Edwards' CD came out a few weeks ago and one of the songs she wrote is called "Hosea". I copied down the lyrics so I thought I would share them with you guys!

"Hosea"
By: Jillian Edwards

There’s an open road ahead of me

An empty sea beside me

Waiting on the sunshine to make me happy

Or the rain to let me break down and cry out to you

 

And I wonder

Why do I ever leave you and turn the other way?

You call me out to the desert come home it’s not too late, it’s not too late

 

Wondering why I ever leave you

Chasing other lovers that don’t compare to you

And by the time I say I’m sorry so

You’ve forgotten my mistakes

 

And I wonder

Why do I ever leave you and the turn the other way?

You call me out to the desert come home it’s not too late, it’s not too late

 

Lately I’ve been wondering where I'm going 

Lately I’ve been listening to your voice within

Take me out to the desert speak to me tenderly

Take me out to the desert speak to me tenderly

 

Why do I ever leave you?

You call me out from the desert come home, it’s not too late

It’s not too late 


These lyrics have just pulled at my heart in so many ways. At surface level when you read the book of Hosea you see that God tells one of his faithful servants to go and marry a prostitute named Gomer. Time and time again Gomer leaves Hosea to go back to her old lifestyle. Hosea goes after his wife and gets her back and reminds her of his love. 

However, God is actually symbolizing the relationship between himself and Israel. Israel had been unfaithful to God time and time again through following other God's and breaking the commandments. So, in this book Israel is depicted by a harlot who violates the promises she made to her husband.

This is absolutely one of my favorite books of The Bible. We as humans turn our attention away from God time and time again and he's always there to pick us back up when we fall. Like Jillian's song said by the time we're actually ready to apologize the Lord has already forgiven us and forgotten our mistakes. How amazing is that? To serve a God who is never changing and always loves us right where we are. 

I encourage all of you to read the book "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers. It's a fiction novel based on the book of Hosea. It's wonderful, I'm actually about to start rereading it. 

But yeah I just thought I would share what's been on my heart for the past day or two!

Happy Friday!

Love, 

Kelsey


No comments: