Saturday, June 4, 2011

Staff training, round two

I'm home from K-Kauai staff training in Branson, Missouri! For those of you who don't know this will be my second summer to work at Kanakuk's family kamp (everything is spelled with a k). I was a kamper at Kanakuk for six years, but I had never experienced the family kamp until I was hired to work there last summer.

Last summer I was in the kitchen for 3 weeks and a counselor for 2 weeks. In the kitchen I was basically a waitress, bus boy, janitor, etc. If it involved serving a family in the kitchen then I did it. It was a very humbling experience that I wouldn't trade for the world. I got to work with 11 other girls who challenged and encouraged me on a daily basis. Love them!

However, this summer I'll be working the last half of the summer and I'll be a counselor for all 4 weeks. I'm getting to work with the Riptides aka the 7-11 year olds. This is definitely the age group for me since it's the age I want to teach someday! Some of you may be wondering how being a counselor at a family camp works. Well, in the morning the parents go and listen to a guest speaker that we have for the week and during that time we have kid activities! So my mornings will be fully devoted to spending time and loving on some amazing kids. In the afternoons I'll get to lifeguard, work in our snack shop, etc. Basically I get to serve all around the "island" as we like to call it.

I love my job. I love the people I work with, I love the camp, I love our vision, and most of all I love that everything we do is Christ centered.

This summer the staff will be studying the book of James. I already started to dive into it during staff training week and it's already rocking my world. Seriously, I love how challenging it is.

As much as I love meeting all of the new staff at training week, I'm happy to be home. Training week consists of getting the kamp ready for families to come....WHICH IS TODAY! So, I feel like I've done nothing but plant flowers, organize, mulch, mulch, mulch, oh and did I mention mulch? Haha, it really is fun, but it's hard work.

Anyways, please keep K-Kauai and the first term staff in your prayers today since this is the day 1 of the summer for them! So excited to see how God is going to work this summer! :)

1 comment:

corrie.freeman said...

Love it! Is there a rap song for the book of James?!? Lol! I miss you!